This recipe makes the perfect white bread for sandwiches (especially grilled cheese). Because it has butter and sugar, it takes almost a week before it goes stale if you keep it wrapped in plastic. It is based on a Martha Stewart recipe and won a 2nd place ribbon at the San Diego County Fair in 2013.
Note: A Pullman loaf pan has a lid so that each slice is a perfect square. You can also make it in a standard loaf plan.
Servings: 1 13-inch Pullman loaf
- 1 ½ pounds bread flour
- 3 ½ teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups water, 110ºF
- Vegetable oil spray
- Combine flour, yeast, salt, sugar, nonfat dry milk and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached. Add the water and and mix on low speed (2) until the dough clears the sides of the bowl (approximately 5 minutes). Continue mixing until the dough is smooth and elastic (another 5 minutes).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead approximately five times until the dough forms a smooth ball. Spray vegetable oil spray in a large bowl. Put dough in bowl and rotate to ensure dough is coated with vegetable oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled (approximately 1 hour).
- Punch down the dough and pull the sides of the dough to the center. Turn dough over, cover bowl in plastic wrap and let rise again until doubled (approximately 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Spray inside and under lid of a 13-inch wide Pullman loaf pan with vegetable oil. Remove dough from bowl and roll out on lightly floured surface to a 13 by 8-inch rectangle with the long side facing you. Start at the top and roll the dough towards you into a tight log and seal the bottom seam. Place dough into pan seam side down and slide the lid three-quarters closed. Let rise in a warm place until the dough is approximately 1-inch from the lid (45 – 60 minutes).
- Close the lid and bake for 45 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Check that top of loaf is golden brown and an instant read thermometer reads at least 200ºF.
- Open lid. Cool bread in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely.