Of course, you can make these as unfilled cookies and get twice as many. If you do that you may want to cut back a bit on the salt (the salt balances out the sweetness of the caramel filling). I user a #40 disher to portion the cookies. Finally, you will need to make some caramel sauce before you make the filling.
For the cookies:
- 10 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the filling
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce, cooled
- 12 tablespoons (6 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy; stir in egg yolk.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture into butter mixture 1/3 at a time making sure that each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next. The dough will loose but will stick together when compressed.
- Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie and flatten into a 2 inch disk. Place them on parchment lined cookie sheets 1 inch apart.
- Bake until cookies eight minuts until they are puffed and cracked, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool completely.
- In a stand mixer, beat together caramel sauce and butter until smooth.
- Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until smooth.
- Spread filling on bottom of half the cookies and top with remaining cookies.