There is a fine line between caramel and burnt sugar. Don’t cross it.
Makes approximately 2 cups.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a medium saucepan, heat sugar over medium-high until melted and brown at edges. As sugar melts, with a heat-resistant spatula, pull melted sugar toward center until all sugar is melted and caramel is deep amber in color. Remove from heat.
- Immediately whisk in butter, salt, pure vanilla extract (take care as mixture is extremely hot and will bubble).
- Whisk in heavy cream.
- Pour into a heatproof container and let cool. Store in the refrigerator and heat in microwave, if desired.