These little cookies are taken from a Martha Stewart recipe. If you like contrasting textures in a cookie you will love these. They are light brown and crunchy outside, dark brown soft and gooey inside. They are also gluten-free and kosher for Passover.
- Instant espresso: Medaglia D’Oro from my local Italian deli
- Bittersweet chocolate chips: Ghirardelli from Costco
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a small bowl whisk together sugar and cornstarch.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment whip egg whites and salt on medium-high speed (#8) until frothy. Continue whipping and add sugar mixture 1 tablespoon at a time until stiff glossy peaks form (scrape bowl down as needed). Add espresso powder and cocoa; continue whipping until completely combined. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in chocolate chips.
- Line two baking sheets parchment paper or a Silpat silicone baking mat. Using a #40 disher or a tablespoon drop batter onto lined baking sheets one inch apart. Bake until crisp. about 40 minutes. Cool completely, about 20 minutes.