This recipe is based on Martha Stewart’s Double Chocolate Cookies using Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips (60% cacao). You can sometimes get a large bag at Costco for a good price.I tripled the recipe and used a convection oven to cook 18 cookies at a time.
Tripling the recipe below and using a #24 disher to portion the cookies yields 4 1/2 dozen cookies.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (either chips or cut into chunks), divided
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F (300°F for convection).
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Melt 4 ounces of chocolate with butter in a metal mixing bowl over simmering water. Let cool slightly.
- Mix sugar, eggs, vanilla and chocolate mixture on medium speed (5) of a stand mixer with paddle attachment until combined.
- Reduce speed to low (2) and gradually add flour mixture one cup at a time. Allow each flour addition to completely combine before adding the next.
- Stir in 4 ounces of chocolate chips / chunks.
- Cover cookie sheets with parchment paper and use a #24 disher (2 inch diameter, 2 2/3 tablespoons) to portion six cookies onto each cookie sheet (leave at least 2 inches between cookies as they will flatten).
- Bake for 15 minutes (same time for both standard and convection ovens). The top will look cracked but the cookie will still be soft. Remove parchment paper with cookies to a rack to cool.