I’ve been making grilled pizza for over a year, but, the trend really seems to have caught on this year. Every week my wife and I find a few more recipes for this wonderful summer dinner.
This recipe is based on one that I saw on Chef Anne Burrell’s
Food Network show, Secrets of a Restaurant Chef. It makes a crispy thin crust pizza that is great with any topping. Use whatever toppings you want but make sure you don’t put too much sauce on. I like mine with fresh diced tomatoes, sausage and a combination of shredded mozzarella and fresh parmegiano reggiano cheeses.
Makes 2 pizzas.
- ½ cup warm water
- 1½ teaspoons dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Your favorite toppings
- Set oven to 200°, heat for one minute and turn off.
- Put the warm (approximately 110°) in a small bowl and stir in the dry yeast and sugar. Let sit for 15 minutes until the mixture is foamy. If it doesn’t get foamy, throw out the mixture and use fresher yeast.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the olive oil and the yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon stir the yeast mixture and gradually incorporate the flour. Once most of the flour has combined, turn the dough out to a flour-dusted work surface and use your hands to knead the dough to a smooth consistency (approximately 10 minutes). To check that the dough has been kneaded long enough, carefully stretch a small piece. If you can see light through it without having it break, you have kneaded it sufficiently.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in the oven until the dough has doubled in size (approximately one hour).
- Preheat covered grill on high.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl and cut in half. Roll each half into a circle approximately nine inches in diameter.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Put the dough circles on the grill and cook until brown on the bottom. Turn over using tongs and repeat. Remove from grill.
- Put your favorite toppings on each pizza. Put each pizza on a cookie sheet and cook in the oven until the cheese has melted (5 – 10 minutes).