These shortbread style cookies definitely need a glass of milk to go along with them.
Makes two dozen cookies.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate baking bar
- 1 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate over simmering water.
- Place butter in bowl of stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add sugar and continue beating until light and sandy in appearance. Add melted chocolate and vanilla; beat on slow speed until incorporated. Add flour mixture 1/3 at a time on low speed until completely incorporated. Add chocolate chips. Continue beating until a loose dough forms.
- Remove dough from bowl and form it into a disk on a piece of plastic wrap. Finish wrapping and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Using a 1½ tablespoon (#40) disher, scoop dough and place two inches apart on parchment paper covered baking sheets . Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for five minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.