These were my favorite bakery cookies when I was growing up and they are still my favorites. This recipe makes cookies that rival those in a bakery at a fraction of the cost.
- 7 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Green food coloring
- Red food coloring
- 1 cup raspberry jam, divided into ½ cup portions
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grate almond paste into small pieces and blend with sugar in a food processor until there are no lumps.
- Put almond paste mixture, butter, almond extract and egg yolks in a bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth and fluffy. With mixer on low speed add flour until thick dough forms.
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Stir one third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten (the batter will still be rather stiff). Fold in remaining egg whites until thoroughly combined.
- Divide dough into thirds. Stir green food coloring into one and red food coloring into another (leave the third one uncolored).
- Line the bottom of three 13×9 inch rimmed baking pans with parchment paper. Spread each batch of dough into a separate pan (the layers will be thin).
- Bake each layer in the oven until; the edges begin to turn golden (10 – 12 minutes). When done and still hot, run a knife along the edges to ensure the layer is loose from the pan. Invert a cooling rack over the pan and turn the layer over onto the rack. Remove the parchment paper and cool completely.
- Place the green layer on a piece of plastic wrap large enough to wrap all three layers. Spread ½ cup of raspberry jam evenly over the green layer. Place the uncolored layer on the jam and spread the remaining ½ cup of jam over it. Place the red layer on the top of the jam and enclose with plastic wrap. Invert a baking sheet over the top to weigh it down and chill for at least eight hours and up to 24 hours.
- Melt chocolate in a metal bowl set over barely simmering water. Remove baking pan and plastic wrap and spread melted chocolate evenly over the top of the pink layer. Let stand until set (about one hour) and cut into 2-inch by 1-inch cookies.