This recipe is from Martha Stewart Living. The consistency of these confections is like a cross between a cookie and a soft meringue.
Makes 18 cookies.
- 4 ½ oz sliced almonds (divided into 3 ½ oz and 1 oz)
- ¾ C sugar (divided into ½ C and ¼ C)
- ¼ C all-purpose flour
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 tsp anise, crushed
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a food processor, blend 3 ½ ounces of almonds with ½ C sugar until almonds are finely ground.
- Transfer almond mixture to a bowl and stir in flour, orange zest and anise.
- Using a stand mixer whisk egg whites, salt, ¼ C sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into almond mixture.
- Spoon tablespoons of batter 2 inches apart on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Using remaining almonds arrange three almonds on each cookie. Sift confectioners’ sugar over cookies.
- Bake until cookies are slightly browned on the edges, about 12 minutes. Cool for two minutes before moving to cooling rack to cool completely.