I made waffle crumbs when I accidentally left waffles in a 200° oven until they were completely crisp. Rather than throw them out I put them in my food processor and pulverized them. I store them in a jar and when I want something a little sweeter than bread crumbs, I use them instead. You can substitute either unseasoned or panko bread crumbs for the waffle crumbs.
- 1 cup oatmeal (not instant)
- 1 cup crumbs (unseasoned bread crumbs, panko or waffle crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 375° (350° if using a convection oven)
- In a pie plate mix together the oatmeal, waffle crumbs, brown sugar, salt and allspice. Drizzle with olive oil and mix thoroughly.
- Set up a breading station with the flour in one plate, the eggs in a small bowl and the oatmeal mixture in a medium bowl. Dry the chicken pieces, dip each piece into flour, egg and coat with oatmeal mixture.
- Place pieces on a non-stick sheet pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until crisp.