- I used a ratio of 3/4 button mushrooms and 1/4 crimini mushrooms. If you find another variation that works, let me know.
- Do not use a non-stick skillet for this. In fact, you can use the skillet you cooked the steak in for extra flavor in the sauce.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine (I used Merlot)
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Place skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil.
- When the butter starts to foam, add the shallots and saute for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme; season with salt. Stir everything together for a few minutes.
- Add the red wine, stirring to scrape up any stuck bits; then cook and stir to evaporate the alcohol.
- When the wine is almost all gone, add the beef broth. Let the liquid cook down and then take it off the heat.
- Remove the thyme sprig, stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.